Multi-Grain Cheerios, Raisin Bran Crunch, Life, Cinnamon Life, Grape Nuts, Grape Nuts Flakes, Rice Krispies, Lucky Charms....

The list goes on. I really love cereal! I've been known to eat it for dinner or lunch. It's not just for breakfast anymore! In pregnancy, its been my favorite late night snack. Yum, yum.

Here's the confusing part- my daughter hates it! Well, she doesn't really know, because she's never tried it. Besides cheerios as a baby, the child won't let a single Krispie pass her lips. AND, on top of that, milk is just about her favorite thing ever. How on earth can you love milk and not like cereal? I've tried bland cereal, sweet cereal, cereal in the shape of her favorite chracters... nothin'. It has baffled me for three and a half years. Seriously.

And then, July 23rd rolled around.

It began with the idea of making Rice Krispie treats. "Sure! I'd love to help," says three-year-old. Which means her eating marshmallows. Then, she moves on to the pre-measured bowl of Rice Krispies... I use my stealthy peripheral vision and watch as she pops her first krispie in her mouth... three-year-old shrugs her shoulders and says, "that's not bad!" Casually, I say, "yeah, they're pretty good, huh?" I feel as though I've got Rice Krispies popping in my heart!! I can resist no longer and start to talk about how she's never tried cereal and I'm so happy that she likes it! She begins shoving handfuls in her mouth.... its a beautiful sight. I pour her a little bowl and give her a spoon... milk? I ask.... no way, mom.

Still, its a step in the right direction.

4 comments

  1. The Way EYE See It... on July 24, 2008 at 4:42 AM

    I was too busy / too lazy to go buy milk so I had a couple of days of dry cereal. I think I've got three boxes in my cupboard right now. Yay for new cereal lovers/eaters!

     
  2. Stan, Laura, Analiese & Ella on July 24, 2008 at 6:00 AM

    Ahhhh... the joys of cereal! Ella is agreeable to cereal, but refuses to eat spaghetti. This is a problem since it is easy to make and sometimes graces our table once a week. Spaghetti! What kid doesn't like spaghetti?!

    I love "catching up" with you via your blog. Thanks for sharing!

     
  3. Bob Thompson on July 24, 2008 at 8:21 AM

    That's super cute.

     
  4. j.ro on July 24, 2008 at 1:06 PM

    this line right here: I feel as though I've got Rice Krispies popping in my heart!!

    wow, what writing!! stellar really! and you know me and cereal are best friends. in italy instead of enjoying the italian cuisine, I spent my food money on Special K "frutti rossi" Gotta love those red berries.

    i'm so glad avery is taking a step in the right direction.